Friday, December 19, 2008

Virginia Union University (VUU) and I/Me Thus Far: I am Glad I Did Not Send That E-Mail

I am a Morehouse College Alumnus (a "maroon and white tiger"); my blood is maroon, and my sweat is white. But I have taught at VUU since 1969, and I have developed a deep love for Virginia Union. There is at least one book about my four decades at VUU.
Virginia Union is a major asset to the Richmond community, and it deserves a lot more support than it gets from the Richmond community. It deserves a lot more support than it gets from its prominent alumni--especially its most prominent alumnus Governor/Mayor L. Douglas Wilder.
However, like any institution, Union Has its faults and its positive and negative critics. When I criticize, I aim to be a positive critic.
One of the impromptu speaking assignment options for my speech classes at Union is "VUU and I Thus Far."
Every now and then, I start the session off talking about my almost 40 years at Union.
Since my wife teaches at VUU, Union is our livelihood. Only a fool would want to do anything to hurt her/his livelyhood. A lot of negative things have been said about me over the last 39+ years at Union, and some of them are/were true. But only liars or fools (or some combination thereof) have said that I was not forthright or that I was incompetent. I tell everyone what I think, and "I'm 'bout half smart."
ONLY A FOOL WOULD WANT TO HURT THE INSTITUTION THAT IS HIS LIVELIHOOD.
Last May, a senior administrator at VUU said in the presence of my wife that some faculty members seemed angry and demoralized.
I gave serious thought to sending a sarcastic E-mail entitled "You Mean We Are Not a Happy Camp? I Wonder Why?
In view of recent happenings at VUU, I am very glad I did not.
Sometimes procrastination has its rewards. I may write more about my perspectives on VUU later.

No comments: